ShareThis

Auebre's Pocket Pillow - A Finish!

 Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My poor niece!  Her birthday was on April 30th and my daughter went to her birthday party and she ended up only bringing part of her gift, which were two Lego Friends chapter books!  The other part of her present was this fun pocket pillow, which I finally got finished!  Every time I saw her this past summer she kept asking me "Do you have the rest of my birthday present finished yet?"  You think I would have finished this project faster with how often she asked me.  I felt bad, but at least I did finish it right!


I started out with the pocket pillow pattern in Allison's book called "Growing up Modern", which can be purchased here.  I switched the pattern up a bit and just incorporated my favorite block the hourglass block as the pocket front instead of squares.  I really like how it turned out.


The fabric I used was Ombre Dots by Riley Blake, which I purchased from Green Fairy Quilts.  My niece just had her bedroom redone in bedding with white and bright colored polka dots, so I figured that this fabric collection would coincide nicely with her new bedroom decor.

I chose to quilt it with just a simple wavy line pattern.  Next time I think I would use one of Natalia's double bubble pantograph patterns to kind of "match" the dots in the fabric.  However, I still don't have my second set of handle bars to do pantographs efficiently just yet.  However, they are on order and I should receive them any day now!


Finally I put it together using an envelope back enclosure, which is my favorite!  (I have a very strong aversion to zippers.  I hate them would be a nice way to say it!)  Then I topped it off with a lime green and white polka dot binding from my stash.  This is my first time doing binding on a pillow and I will forever do that going forward!  I think it adds a nice touch to the finished pillow!


So I will finally be giving this to my niece the next time that I see her!  I even included some of my old books for her to read as well!  I just loved the Sweet Valley Twins and the Babysitter Club!

Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday hosted by Janice at Better Off Thread.


Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

Melissa at My Fabric Relish September 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM  

Those were my favorite books too! Sweet little pillow!

Teresa Silva September 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM  

This little pillow turned out adorable. Nice job!

Lisa September 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM  

Pretty! Love this idea - your pillow is both cute and functional. WIn-win. AND the fact that it promotes reading is just an added bonus!!! I really like the binding - it definitely adds a really nice finishing touch. Lucky niece!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Designed by HotBliggityBlog

Back to TOP