ShareThis

Star Quilt

 Thursday, May 15, 2014

One of the blogs that I follow, "Sewing by Moonlight", by Em had asked for help to finish a quilt for her dad who has cancer.  She had a very short period of time in which to work with and she wanted to give this quilt to her dad for his birthday.  She asked for volunteers to help her make some of the squares as well as help from a long arm quilter that would quilt it for her due to its large size.  I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for me to be able to practice my quilting.  In addition, I had never quilted a quilt that was that large and I really wanted to try that.  Em and I connected and she sent me the quilt several weeks ago now.  I quilted it up for her in a free motion loops and stars pattern.  I am so happy with how it turned out.  Here is a picture of the entire front of the quilt.


A picture of the back of the quilt.  This is the very first time I worked with a pieced back.  I was nervous at first, but I think it turned out beautiful!


Em did a really great job piecing this together, which makes my job easier as a long arm quilter.  I think it turned out great.  Here are some closeups of the quilting.




Quilt Stats:
  • Size 60in x 72in
  • 5 bobbins
  • Quilting time was 4 1/2 hours.  
Linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday hosted by Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation.  


Happy Quilting!

5 comments:

Lynn May 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM  

Wow that's amazing timing. And the quilting looks great. Might have to give the stars a go. Hope he really appreciates and enjoys it.

Caroline May 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM  

Looks great Melissa! Great choice on the quilting. I'm sure he'll love it:)

Teresa Silva May 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM  

Looks awesome! What a great job you did.

Anonymous,  May 29, 2014 at 6:10 AM  

I tried to comment earlier, but I think the internet ate my comment.

I really just cannot thank you enough for taking on this project. It is only because of my quilting friends that I finished this quilt and was able to give it to my dad. He only was able to enjoy it for a week before he passed away, but I am ever thankful that I was able to give this gift.

Lisa July 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM  

What a lovely thing to do for someone! Your quilting is fabulous, I really like the stars in this pattern - it fits perfectly with the colours of the quilt.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Designed by HotBliggityBlog

Back to TOP